The Management of Platforms Communications, organisers of the Annual Maritime Students And Youth Conference (AMSAY Conference) also known as A Day With Nigeria Maritime Students has officially flagged off preparations towards hosting the 2021 edition of the Conference.
In a press statement released today in Lagos, the Convener of the Conference and CEO of Platforms Communications, Mr Sylvanus Obasi explained that AMSAY Conference is a yearly capacity-building platform that converge both the young and older maritime practitioners and engage them in topical discussions on critical issues affecting the future of Nigerian maritime industry.
He disclosed that the Conference is organised annually by Platforms Communications for all Nigerian maritime students and all young maritime professionals on 27th May each year.
Speaking Further on the purpose and benefits of the event to the maritime sector, Obasi highlighted as follows: AMSAY Conference provides a suitable avenue for the students and up-coming professionals to meet, interact and share practical knowledge with industry professionals beyond the classroom teachings.
– The event avails the students the opportunity to voice their challenges, ask pertinent questions and enable government agencies, private companies and industry players to understand the challenges of the students with a view to helping them overcome such challenges and better position themselves for success as future ambassadors and successors of the industry.
– It is a veritable advocacy platform that champions all critical issues affecting the future of Nigerian students/youths as future leaders of the maritime industry.
– Above all, the conference exposes the students and the up-coming young professionals to the enormous potential in the maritime sector and how to tap into it.
– About 500 maritime students from various maritime academies and institutions across the country attend the conference each year; but due to COVID-19, only 300 participants have been invited to attend the Conference this year.
Giving some hints on venue, theme and date of the Conference this year, the maritime journalist, revealed that the event is scheduled to hold as follows:
DATE: Thursday, May 27, 2021.
VENUE: Rockview Hotel, Apapa-Lagos.
THEME: “ATTAINING GLOBAL MARITIME COMPETENCE”.
CHAIRMAN OF OCCASION: Capt Sunday Umoren, Secretary-General, Abuja MOU.
KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Senator Gbemisola Saraki, Hon Minister of State for Transportation
PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS: About 42 Maritime and Transport related schools from various parts of the country comprising those approved by NIMASA to offer STCW courses and those approved by NBTE to offer shore-based programmes have been invited, and about 300 students/youths are expected to attend the conference this year.
BEST GRADUATED MARITIME STUDENTS AWARDS – (BEGMASA)
As our usual way of encouraging healthy academic competition amongst Nigerian maritime students, Platforms Communications will also use the occasion to identify and honour outstanding students in the following fields of maritime and transport related studies:
1. Nautical Sciences.
2. Marine Engineering.
3. Shipping Management.
4. Maritime Transportation and Business Management.
5. Fisheries Technology Management.
6. Transport Management Technology.
7. Maritime Management Technology.
8. Shipping and Admiralty Law.
9. Best Graduated Female Maritime Student, and
10. Overall Best Graduated Maritime Student.
He assured that the 5th edition of the AMSAY Conference will see greater improvement compared to that of 2019, adding that about 42 maritime schools have today been officially invited for the conference.
Recall that Platforms Communications postponed the 2020 edition of the AMSAY Conference last year due to COVID -19 Pandemic as government ordered closure of all schools then.